navbar

about me wish list contact pr Image Map

29.8.13

In Five Years Time, You Might Just Prove Me Wrong...

Hi Everyone.

Ten points if you got the reference in the title! It is of course from the lovely "Five Years Time" by Noah and the Whale. If you'd like to listen to that, here it is!



Tonight's post is a little bit different, a bit more personal. This is the time of year when a lot of people are starting a new phase in their lives, whether that is college, university, or anything else. Five years ago that was me!

In the summer of 2008 I spent about a month in Holland at my Dad's house contemplating what was about to happen. I was just about to turn 18 and my whole life was about to change! I was sat in the park opposite my Dad's house listening to music and suddenly this song came on and it seemed to explain my life perfectly. It was about how time changes, losing touch with people and never really knowing what the future will be. 

That was the moment where I decided to get my first tattoo. I went back to my Dad's, drew it onto a piece of paper and positioned it where I wanted to get it. Then I spent the rest of my holiday over there debating it, and then about a month later I turned 18 and decided I would definitely get it, and I did a few days after my birthday!

Here it is:


Tattoos are a very personal thing, and so I did debate putting a picture on here, as well as the fact that it's on my foot! There is a a lot of controversy at the moment about tattoos as well, sparked by Cheryl Cole revealing her huge one and, love them or hate them, we all have an opinion on them! My tattoo is very special to me and I still love it five years on.

But what I love more is the meaning behind it...

Five years before I had this tattoo done I was moving to Spain. I left my friends and my whole life behind and moved to a whole new country with a different language and culture and a new set of people. I hated it at first but as the years went by I grew up and ended up loving my life so much that I didn't want to leave!

When I got my tattoo, pretty much everybody asked me the same question: "so, what's happening in five years then?" I always say that the point is that you never know!

Since I got my tattoo so much has changed. In the last five years I have:

1. Graduated university with a 2:1 in law
2. Met the man of my dreams (yes, that's you Richard, you're bound to be reading this!)
3. Had a baby
4. Bought a house
5. Started a blog
6. Passed my driving test

And probably a load of other things I can't think of off the top of my head!

I guess what I'm trying to say in a rambling way is......

Whatever stage of life you're in, embrace it. Every moment you live through, good or bad, leads onto the next one and if you feel like you're drifting away from people and things then believe me: you're drifting towards something better! 

Here's to the next five years!


Do you guys have any tattoos? What life changing moments have you had? And have you marked them with anything special: a tattoo, piece of jewellery, clothing? Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment